Skip to main content

Review of Gok's the naked truth on channel 4

Helping teens see how perceptions of beauty are twisted by the media


Fact from the show
1/2 of all anorexics are girls aged 16-19



Good to see that Gok is doing a programme not just highlighting the issue with young people but looking at how to help some individuals. In particular Jake is clearly a guy who needed some help. 6ft 9 and over 20 stone he had been so badly bullied he would not leave his house with out his mum. Bullying can be viscously powerful. When young people get to this stage they need to get personal one to one support. Size and strength is no protection from emotional damage. I am very impressed they show that Jake is getting professional support/help. Too often in TV it seems like the famous presenter solves all their emotional problems but not on Gok's show. Very refreshing to see a more honest approach. Love Gok taking him to the ring


Great to see that he is talking to teachers. From my work in schools I know that the opportunities within the school. I've been looking through Gok's lesson plan during the break and I think their is some quality material in them. I'll be using some of these materials in my lessons in Chester schools. Self esteem is such a key aspect in how young people view themselves and then the decisions they make in later life. 


They talk about a great website/service called http://www.bodygossip.org it seems like a fantastic idea. I have always thought that telling your stories is a very powerful activity. If you have seen or read freedom writers you know what I mean. I want to see if there is a way I can include this idea in my work. Maybe an anonymous submission of stories read out by local volunteers? Just the seed of an idea but hopefully it will grow. 


"No point trying to 
look like something 
that isn't real, 
it's just fantasy" 
Gok Wan


When Gok went to the photo shoot it was great to see them showing how much and how quickly the images are manipulated. To me it is interesting how Gok calls manipulated fashion photography "a fantasy art form" which is a kind of positive statement. But the lesson on the website includes the discussion starting question "How do they feel about this manipulated illusion of beauty? Angry? Cheated? Surprised" which clearly is a less positive. Maybe the message is a bit mixed as Gok is balancing his working world of fashion with his passion for helping young people identify the truth. 


Overall I think that this is a great show created by channel 4. Not just pointing out the depths of the problem but starting to suggest and explain ways to move forward. I hope the rest of the episodes are as good as this one. I hope it helps some young people. 


Find out more about Gok's message on this Gok's teens website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A RSE reading list

Sometimes people ask me what reading I recommend around RSE, so I thought I would put together a bit of a list.  Key (free) articles and reports  Young people’s RSE UK poll  Sex Education Forum (2018) RSE outcome variations due to facilitator differences  Young et al (2018) What do young people think about their school-based sex and relationship education? A qualitative synthesis of young people's views and experiences Pound et al. (2016) Review of sexual abuse in schools and college s Ofsted (2021) National and International RSE Guidance  UNESCO international guidance on RSE  UNESCO (2018) England   Department for Education full guidance on statutory relationships education, relationships and sex education (RSE) and health education  Department for Education (2019) Wales Curriculum for Wales guidance and code for Relationships and Sexuality Education (RSE)  (Consultation stage) Welsh Government (2021)  Scotland  Guidance for teachers on the conduct of teaching relationships, sex

A good question about Aims

I was recently asked this question and it made me think long and hard. Read my response below it. *I would like to know more about your overall goal - in other words what is it you are trying to change. Do you consider it is more about raising awareness or changing behaviour (I am sure there are elements of both) and are you clear about the changes you want to see as a result of what you do - it will be very hard to measure the effect/impact of what you are doing without knowing this. I would say that changing behaviour is my goal, firstly by changing attitudes towards sex and relationships and secondly by equipping them with skills that change their behaviour to stay safer. For me the 3 changes I want to see are - a greater recognition of the emotional impact of sexual activity - a delay of a young persons first sexual experience - a greater proportion of young people using protection correctly when they are sexually active My biggest worry is how to measure these three changes?