Skip to main content

New Preventative HIV drug approved in USA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18030057

I was interested to read this story on the BBC website. The idea of
preventing HIV with drugs is something some HIV researchers have been
looking at for years with the holy grail; of an effective HIV vaccine.
Some may see this as a step in the right direction but it is lacking
some key things to make it have the global impact we need. Firstly it
is not cheep this will not be an option for the thousands of people
living lives of risk across the world who do not have the income to
afford this drug. Secondly the regime needed to be effective is 100%
adherance (an impossible standard) and thirdly I think any method of
preventing HIV needs to be instigated world wide to all at risk people
at the same time. This drug will not produce herd immunity. It will not
protect the most vulnerable. I also think it will increase
misunderstanding about HIV. All in all im not a fan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A RSE reading list

Sometimes people ask me what reading I recommend around RSE, so I thought I would put together a bit of a list.  Key (free) articles and reports  Young people’s RSE UK poll  Sex Education Forum (2018) RSE outcome variations due to facilitator differences  Young et al (2018) What do young people think about their school-based sex and relationship education? A qualitative synthesis of young people's views and experiences Pound et al. (2016) Review of sexual abuse in schools and college s Ofsted (2021) National and International RSE Guidance  UNESCO international guidance on RSE  UNESCO (2018) England   Department for Education full guidance on statutory relationships education, relationships and sex education (RSE) and health education  Department for Education (2019) Wales Curriculum for Wales guidance and code for Relationships and Sexuality Education (RSE)  (Consultation stage) Welsh Government (2021)  Scotland  Guidance for teachers on the conduct of teaching relationships, sex

A good question about Aims

I was recently asked this question and it made me think long and hard. Read my response below it. *I would like to know more about your overall goal - in other words what is it you are trying to change. Do you consider it is more about raising awareness or changing behaviour (I am sure there are elements of both) and are you clear about the changes you want to see as a result of what you do - it will be very hard to measure the effect/impact of what you are doing without knowing this. I would say that changing behaviour is my goal, firstly by changing attitudes towards sex and relationships and secondly by equipping them with skills that change their behaviour to stay safer. For me the 3 changes I want to see are - a greater recognition of the emotional impact of sexual activity - a delay of a young persons first sexual experience - a greater proportion of young people using protection correctly when they are sexually active My biggest worry is how to measure these three changes?